Tuesday 31 August 2010

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach

Yesterday my friend came to visit and I had a few bananas which were either good for the bin, or perfect for a cake, so I baked a cake! At this point I must admit that I have very little self restrain when it comes to bakeries, especially if chocolate is involved as it was in this case.
As my friend wasn't ready to share too many calories with me I took what was left to work to avoid turning into the Bibendum.
Now, I must warn you. This wasn't just any cake! This was my trade mark cake. The one all of my friends, colleagues around the world ask me for, and I am not even exaggerating here so far it has gone to U.A.E., U.S.A., Australia, NZ , Turkey and Bristol...
Once at work, I did my usual and put the cake out on the kitchenette table, just as Mr Smile was getting himself a cup of tea, I pointed out the that he should help himself to some cake before it vanished. A bit later as I am on the phone in my office I see him pass my door and do a double take, pop is head through my door and did the international sign for "Delicious", and gave me his usual big smile.
Later on Mr Snag show his face through my door, Mr Snag is Muslim and therefore doing Ramadan at the moment (no food from sunrise to sundown), it was is birthday on Sunday (24 y.o.) and he had brought in some cupcakes if I fancied some. Obviously, I obliged, not wanting to insult him, and because it was chocolate ones. (Did I mention that I am a complete chocolate addict?) I told him that I had made some cake if he wanted some to take home with him for iftar (break of fast). I am not sure if he did, all I know is that I left a full cake on the table before my meeting and that one hour and a half later it had all gone!
Before I left work I popped into my client's office to discuss one of my files and I asked him if he had managed to get some cake.
My client: "No, I didn't. Is there any left?"
Me: "It's all gone I'm afraid"
Mr C then adds: "I had the last bit, it was delicious! So moist!"
Me: "You see, I told you I could bake!"
Mr C: "You made it?? I don't mean to sound sexist, and it isn't meant to be sexist, but I love a woman who can bake." And yes, you guessed it, I made my excuses and left... after turning bright red.

No comments:

Post a Comment